Sunday, October 10, 2010

Me and you

      Me and you may walk different lines, speak different words, be different people, watch different sunsets, but the night still falls on us both in the end. And, I think I learn something from the sunsets I see in your eyes--watching you watch them. "What?" "Just watching."
     What am I watching? You, watching sunsets. How else will I know how you see them? This is important, you know. I like watching sunsets. You could say I am a sunset connoisseur, but I would be showed up by enthusiasts everywhere. I like to know what others look like when they see them. Perhaps I am not looking, I am simply seeing. Seeing you watching a sunset. What does this mean? It could mean lots, but perhaps it means I know just one more thing about you. I won't impertinently claim it reveals your life story to me or hordes of hidden depths of feeling. I will tell you it lets me know how you watch a sunset. That is a nice thing to know. It is nice to know the little things. Don't ask me what I see. You will be disappointed. I see you watching a sunset.
      Sunsets aside I do see staggered meanings in things, but these are most often wrong. Dropping a candle does not mean the light has gone from your life, and moving my stuff from a seat does not mean you wish to supplant me. Buying food does not mean I am starving you, serving breakfast does not mean I failed to serve you first. A gift is best seen as a gift, not a request for compensation.
       Let's not play hidden meanings until we both know the rules. Then it can be quite fun, mind readers everywhere. Then it can be a game worth playing, but let's get the basics down first.

1 comment:

  1. you are magnificent.

    i miss you.

    and i'm glad i'm not the only one who prefers to watch the love watch the sunset.

    your soul is magical and edifying. it fills me.

    ReplyDelete