Thursday, March 17, 2011

No title

Conceptually the idea of a title is appeasing. Wherewith may we call you? Yet, for all the summary it may provide I must inquire as to the effective nature of it as a judge.

With people I may say my name is Cory, but the definition of me is still long coming beyond the exposition. We call exchanging names "introduction," and justly so. Unlike  so many book browsers today, we never judge a person by their title.

We often begin judgements with whatever sensual means we are given. You may take how I look and apply it to my name. Follow that with my voice and you are beginning to create a persona for me. I often wonder if these personas are something we learn to create, or something we must learn not to. Imagination plays with a younger mind, as does the simplicity of labeling. In high school it is easy for many children to associate others and themselves into specific categories that tell them who they are. What role  they play. What to wear, say, do, be, and all around live. All of this works fine until you begin to ask yourself questions or show signs of curiosity into true interests. Then one realizes the simply painted facade doesn't hold up to scrutiny. Worlds shatter with the realization that everyone (EVERYONE) is different. So we begin looking a bit deeper for a character of those charming, dreadful, and seemingly normal.

How do they think? What do they like? What do they hate? How do they feel, act, be? What mood do they bring with them? Are they intelligent? Beyond the common assumptions lie countless characteristics and idiosyncrasies that just wait to be discovered. And, like a key you may click well and fit flawlessly or you may not even make it the teensiest into the lock of a relationship, but you can still admire the keyhole, the person. You can still see them all around you.

And, unlike so many things that become what they are named, you and I define our name through what we are. 

No comments:

Post a Comment