Sunday, December 5, 2010

Disparaging

         It is as great a crime to the reality of expression to understate as it is to overstate the truth of any subject. Artistic liberties aside, the expression of any fact is a serious responsibility. Think about this fact in the perspective of one who creates reality (as we so often do on a personal level). Any deviation from the truth--even in relative terms--is, in fact, a lie. For this fact do I find the disparaging man one of my greatest foes. How dare you undercut reality? What nerve to take my incredulous existence, my sincere curiosity, and give me a meager return! Unexcuseable! With more than reality the whole truth can often be found below the exaggerated levels, but to think that over-modesty bares any great advantage over the truth is entirely folly. Whatever you are speaking on you insult and decrease your own viewed intelligence in the process.
         I do not challenge this fault of factual-poverty merely because my tendency is towards the embellished. In this particular case I find an abundance of any subject more often the preferred over the shortage. Of course exception may include armies, temperatures, food, and gamma rays, but I like to call these silly. No.
        Really, any deviation from the truth, any statement taken from the real, can become poisonous if misunderstood. May we all avoid disparaging, may we all avoid embellishing. Truly.

4 comments:

  1. small town elders' quaram getting you today, dearie?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH those ISTP's. I am reminded of class with you and some of our more stoic relations. Grr.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait... I think you referred to the power to create reality and deviation from the truth in the same dialogue. Are you making a distinction between the two?

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a relation between the two, the world being mostly relative to our perceptions. Eternal truth is slightly affected by our perceptions as well, thus any deviations or alignments are our progeny. In our own individual way we create right and wrong, the overarching good our guidepost or detractors (our inability to remove from our lives our limitations).

    ReplyDelete