Sunday, June 6, 2010

Engaged

              It is funny how easily moments of time become life and legend in history. We are expected to remember things like our first kiss, our first car, our first time doing any number of things. Those moments can sometime sneak up on you. No fanfare like one would suspect. No culmination other than the chronic movement, the mellow building of life. The sudden awareness will hit you then. It has happened. It just did. Silent and sudden and brilliant, like a sunrise. It doesn't suddenly fly over the ridges of mountains, it climbs slowly until the glory of it is exposed.
             On May 31st I found myself watching a ridiculously unromantic movie with my sweetheart, Alex April Leeann Grover. Coraline is concerned with Spiders and Flys, But in any circumstance it appears words of the spirit can be heard, and God picks interesting times (mindful in the grand scheme I am sure) to help us make big decisions. Thus, at about 11:55 or so, without any romantic get-away or planned words, I suddenly asked her if she still felt too young to marry, all previous conversations ending in the conviction that we still needed time to grow (a conviction I painfully understood). As easily as I asked, feeling suddenly nothing to lose, she answered with an astonishing "no, I'm not too young." The words that came to me during an especially frantic and creepy scene of Coraline were then admonished "You had better propose to her Cory." Alex then lent forward and no fear in her eyes or word, said "Yes, of course I will marry you."
             Engaged now, life takes on such a double meaning. Things about me remain about my own life, but then there is the level of me being unified: what things mean to us. How from our own selves we bring to the table such strengths, and help eachother with such flaws. How we can fully live, but at the end of the day the young couple can come together and ask and be and fine a companion.
             Engaged us. Alex + Cory.

No comments:

Post a Comment